Friday, September 11, 2009

2 Weeks

So I have been in DC for two weeks now. I have been enjoying myself, but I have also had more free time than I know what to do with. I got a part-time job at a pizza place. It is funny because I knew moving to DC meant I would have to get more professional clothes and be prepared to walk around in heals for the day at my fabulous new job in DC. What actually has happened is that I wear jeans, one of my two pairs of sneakers, and a baseball hat to work!

Nonetheless it is exciting. I know this job is not forever and I just have to keep looking and applying. Some family and friends have put me in contact with people here so I have been reaching out to them. I met with one woman on Wednesday and she was so nice. She packed up her car and moved to DC a few years ago. It all worked out for her, so I am going to use that as good news for me. She was also saying that the currency in DC is connections/contacts. So if anyone knows anyone here let me know!

I moved into my new place (for now) last week. I am living with a very nice woman. She is very rarely home, while I feel like I spend most of my time here. We get along really well, but the place is in Maryland and I didn't move across the country to live in the suberbs so I am looking for somewhere in the city for October. I am getting more comfortable and therefore willing to sign a longer lease.

As for the housing search, I met with two very nice women yesterday. They also just graduated from college in May and packed two bags and moved to DC. They are both employed now, which also seems like a good sign for me! They were awesome and I really hope that we can all live together. I think we would have a lot of fun and are looking for similar things for housing. We are also all liberal and looking into different fields of nonprofits. All very positive things!

It was also really nice to chat with them about the move and graduating. I am glad to know that I am not alone in being freaked out, exciting, and confused all at the same time. It has been quite the experience. I am used to having most of my friends within 5 minutes of me all of the time and now not only are they not in walkng distance, but I can't see them at all! There have been days where I just won't talk to anyone in person other than the cashier or bus driver.

The weather has been so lovely too! It has been cloudy and rainy everyday this week. I love it! I went for a run yesterday (funny I know!) and found that there are trails not too far away from where I am living. It is called Rock Creek Park and it is huge. It come out to where I am in Maryland and goes all the way to Georgetown. It was so nice to just wander around in the park a little bit. There was also this beautiful red bird in the tree outside my window.

My brother got me this book for graduation called DC- Not for Tourists. It has all sorts of things to do--restaurants, bars, hikes, museums, etc. I have been looking through that and making lists of all the things I want to do. The city has so much to offer and there are so many states all around me to explore! I now have the free time to do it so I am trying to take advantage of it all!

I am confident that with time the job, housing, and friends will come and in the mean time I am always on the phone so feel free to call! I will more than likely be able to pick up. I miss you all dearly! Also, I finally bought a webcam and want to use it! So if you have Skype or google video look me up! My Skype name is Pas-scooch!

No comments:

Post a Comment