Saturday, September 26, 2009

The First Month of DC

I have been in DC for just about a month now. It has been less exciting at times than I have hoped. I have learned how to spend unprecedented time by myself, started studying for the GRE, and have been reading a lot. I am currently reading a book that has made it through the family about a woman in her late-20s who moves to DC to work for a Senator. While my life is far less eventful in comparison it is exciting to know the places she is referring to! I am also reading a book called Hope is a Tattered Flag which is really good. It is a serious of interviews done by two journalist of politicians, academics, other journalists, and CEOs about political issues and the road our country is heading down. It is really interesting and I am happy to report that there is hope for the future!

While the job hunt is still going on, I believe that my network of people is slowly getting larger. An old friend from high school moved here and he recently contacted me so we are going to get together, so it will be nice to see a familiar face. I have also had a chance to meet up with one of my Aunt's friend. We went to Georgetown, which was really fun. I also am getting to know one of the woman that I work with and I think we might hang out. I know that I just need to start with a couple of people because that will allow me to meet more people! That is why I left everyone I know back home!

My friend Janille told me about Meetup.com which is a site that groups can post events or meetings from anything like rock climbing to politics. I have joined an International Affairs group. They meet once or twice a month for coffee and talk about a topic that has been pre-chosen. I am excited to go to that in a couple of weeks. It should be a good way to meet people and network with people who are interested in the same things I am.

I represent my Red Sox at work and it is a good conversation starter. I met one woman the other night who is in the Peace and Conflict graduate program at Georgetown who is also a Red Sox fan and I think we are going to get together to watch a game or two. It has also began conversations about what I am doing here. I told my Mom that I think it might result in some new contacts in the field that I want to enter and maybe a job (that's me being REALLY hopeful). It almost did a couple of weeks ago but they were just visited DC so they couldn't help me unless I moved to their city!

I am still looking for housing in the city. I am going to have a fun entry about public transportation very soon but it is the most wonderful thing but when my commute costs be an hour's worth of work there is some cost benefit analysis that needs to take place. I am looking at a few places this weekend. Hopefully I will be able to find something before I have to pay another month's rent.

My parents came to DC last weekend for a conference. It was really nice to see them and since my Mom has never been here we did a lot of walking and went to a couple of museums. Unfortunately, their time here was short but we enjoyed it. I think it was comforting for all three of us to see each other. The weather was amazing while they were here, and really had been excellent. I went to lunch with them at their conference and met some people who work for the Hemophilia Federation of America. I am going to start volunteering at their office on Monday. They are doing a lot with the current health care bill and I should be able to gain experience with them. It will also be something to do during the day since I mainly work nights.

I have realized that I kept myself busy for a reason. I did things I enjoyed and enjoyed doing my reading and researching for class. This also made free time more exciting and relaxing. As I continually look for jobs and housing, my down time is infiltrated with what I should be doing or what I could be doing. I am hoping to find another place to volunteer at in the afternoon so that I can look for jobs in the mornings and volunteer at a couple of places in the afternoon.

I am not going home for Thanksgiving for the first time, but I did buy a plane ticket to Boston to spend it with extended family and my brother. I am also hoping to make it up to New York in October or November. The Mega Bus goes there for $1-9 so it should be doable. I really want to take advantage of being so close to other cities. Baltimore is close and while not many people have good things to say about it, I am sure I will make it there soon as well! Philly is on my list as well because I have never been there! I am just trying to fill my time and manage my money, while enjoying myself and making sure that I am happy!

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment