Thursday, December 23, 2010

Vienna - Now or Never

The second we got off the train in Vienna, it had the big city feel that Salzburg did not.  It also came with a bone-chilling cold which was absent in Salzburg.  After unsuccessfully looking for the "center" of the city, we heading back to the hostel.  We quickly discovered how many things we wanted to see and do in the city so the morning started after finally finding the city!


We walked around the St. Stephan's Church and the Hofburg buildings.  Then off to the Museum Quartier.  We saw a few exhibits, one of which was called Power Up - Female Pop Art. The list of artists that were displayed is below and I would recommended looking up some of their pieces.  It was an awesome exhibit filled with art that is often passed over.



We followed that with the Modern Art Museum which had an exposition of Hyper-Life Art.  I liked a lot of these pieces as well.  I feel like you cannot come to Europe and fall in love with the art world.  It seems like there are constantly quality exhibitions in every museum in every city.  

The State Opera House

After our Viennese cuisine we headed to the Opera for the evening (classy, I know).  We saw L'elisir D'amore at the State Opera House.  It is a beautiful building and the orchestra and singers were fantastic.  The Austrian man sitting next to me was very helpful in pointing out who among the singers were the best.  At the end of the day we definitely felt cultured

Chicken Schniztel and wine




The Opera House 

Wednesday we went to the Schloss Schonbrunn castle and the Butterfly House, and then we separated for the afternoon.  I wandered around the Jewish Quarter, a few Christmas Markets, the Parliament building, and the Rathaus.  It was quite lovely, but the cold got the best of me and I headed back to the hostel a little early to get into my warm covers and take a quick nap. I justified this because I know that there in still a laundry list of things I want to do in Vienna and must return again soon! 

Schloss Schönbrunn


Christmas Market Fun

Rathaus


Today, we walked to the Nachtmarkt which is a big market that is around all year with fresh meat, fruit, cheese,  and delicious goodies!  I got to type this in the hostel listening to a woman play Christmas music on piano next to me.  It was helpful for getting that Christmas feeling! Our next stop is Budapest for the holidays! 

No comments:

Post a Comment