Thursday, November 25, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving!

So this is the second Thanksgiving I am not in San Diego for. However, last year I shot up to Boston and spent it with my Aunts and Uncles and of course my "little" brother Stephen! It was a great substitute but of course spending Thanksgiving in San Diego with football, turkey, pie, and our annual game of  Battle of the Sexes Trivia Pursuit is irreplaceable.

This year is much different. I am abroad. This translates into Thanksgiving being a non-existent holiday.  My American friends and I have been talking about what do today for a couple of weeks and we are having a traditional Thanksgiving. However, I will not be any family, there will be no football, and I spent the morning looking after a 7 week old baby.  Needless to say, it just doesn't quite feel like Thanksgiving.

I am super excited that we will be having turkey today, which is a feat in itself because the Swiss don't eat turkey! I also spent the morning baking an apple pie and peeling 3 kg of potatoes to make into some (hopefully) delicious mashed potatoes. The dinner I am going to will have people from all over the world (potentially 6 of the 7 continents) and many Americans. I am excited to enjoy a massive feast with my new friends!

In keeping with tradition here's a list of things that I am unbelievable grateful for (in no specific order):


  1. I am so thankful for having an amazing and supportive family! I decide to do and say ridiculous things all the time knowing that they will be behind me in the end. I love you all sooo much and wish that I could be with you today!
  2. All of my friends from high school, college, life in DC, and everything in between! I am so lucky to have each of you in my life! I miss you so much and am so excited every time I get talk to you all the way in Switzerland!
  3.  Video Chat, facebook, phones, online television..etc. Without this technology I am not sure that I would EVER be able to live over 6,000 miles away from everything and everyone I know! 
  4. My mother - She gets an individual shout out for countless reasons! I am learning so much about what it takes to raise a family and make a Thanksgiving dinner! I am shocked everyday that you were able to do it all! I love you and thank you times a million! 
  5. Living in Europe! This is such a great opportunity and it has been so much fun already! The new friends I have made are fantastic! I have been able to travel and my month of December is going to absolutely jammed with exciting adventures!
I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving! And a Happy Thursday to those of you who won't be celebrating Thanksgiving! Much love and safe travels!

No comments:

Post a Comment