Monday, November 8, 2010

Three Months Down

I have created a life of constant change for myself. I feel like I haven't been in the same place for more than a year for going on SIX years now. While I was at good ol' Chappy for four years, each year required a move, and for the most part a new group of people. I have a few consistent friends from all four years, but between people graduating, moving off campus (which really did put them off the radar), different activities, classes, and a new Resident Advisor staff every year, I was constantly meeting new people and creating different core friends. I was always living in a different hall/apartment.

I think that this constant change is good. It keeps me on my toes. Meeting new people is always important and I never want that to stop! On the other hand, there are moments when I wish I could round up my friends and put them all in the same place.  We could recreate the idealistic college life we had and I could throw some high school and post-grad friends as well!  It would be an epic lifestyle! Unfortunately, I have adapting over the last 6 years to living away from my family and friends so while it is difficult at times to only be able to call/video chat, this is not something new to me.

I have found that you can't let yourself ponder what you don't have for too long or you just get depressed/lonely/etc. I have an amazing life in Switzerland and I am enjoying taking advantage of it all! The three month point is the big hump you need to get over. As an RA in college, this was when homesickness settled in for first-year students. You realize that the honeymoon is over, you are away from what you know, and this is now just life. This can be an AMAZING and/or SCARY revelation!

This brings me to the point of the post. I continue to move place to place and as I look into the future I can't imagine that I will find that city to settle down (whatever that means) in for a several more years! I do, however, miss things, people, and certain concepts. I didn't have a culture shock when I moved here. I was immediately surrounded by English and the food wasn't all that different. I have gotten used to not being able to communicate very well with people at restaurants and for the most part I have started to just speak English with hand motions in order to get my point across.

So here's a few things that I miss (obviously I miss you too!)

1. Shopping for and making my own food

2. Having privacy (the laundry room is accessed through my room...and we all know the laundry is never done!)

4. Being able to send people a text when something reminds me of them

5. Calling people while I walk to and from and sending texts with random moments from the day (However, I read a lot more now!)

6. Jamba Juice (I missed this in DC too)

7. Frozen Yogurt!

8. The warmth of the sun


And things that love about being here:

1. The free time to read

2. Walking outside and seeing snow capped mountains everyday

3. Learning French

4. That the hardest part of my day is getting 2 kids to brush their teeth

5. Being able to be in 4 different countries within 3-4 hours

6. Traveling!

7. Meeting new people from all over the world

8. Walking places

9. That a 50 degree rainy day is now good weather! (I am changing!)

This month is going to go by so quickly and so is my year here!

No comments:

Post a Comment