Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Election Day!

Yesterday was election day. I can only assume that most people didn't go out to vote or care that it was election day. I was sad yesterday when I came back from getting dessert with some friends to realize that I was missing out on the ridiculous Election Day coverage on Network TV. As soon as the kids were on the bus this morning, I was on my computer to see what the results were.

I am not shocked. I am glad the Barbara Boxer is still my Senator. I know that Duncan Hunter will be my SD Rep until he dies.  I am ecstatic that Meg Whitman is not the governor elect in California, but not sure that Jerry Brown is going to solve the problems my favorite state faces. I am a little disappointed about Prop 19 (legalizing marijuana), I think it would have helped California more than hurt it.  There isn't a winning solution to drugs, but the current laws we have are failing just about everyone involved.

I then listened to the new Speaker of the House's speech, John Boehner.  His speech did not give me hope that things are actually going to be different in politics. His speech brings to light the hypocrisy that exists on both sides of the aisle.  It is moments like this that my idealistic and hopeful view of the world is crushed slightly. I think about how many people didn't go out to vote because they think it doesn't matter, or worse, because the candidates are all saying the same thing in a slightly different way.

In a way, I hope that this can bring about some bipartisanship back to Washington. I want to see President Obama reach across the aisle and continue his ambitious agenda.  After President Clinton lost his majority, things changed in but there was a new level of compromise (even through the Republicans trying to get him impeached).  This is when we started created a budget surplus for our nation and unemployment declined.  That is was we need to see.  I hope that we can see this as an opportunity to unite our country. I hope that we can stop bickering and give 9/11 first responders the healthcare they need and deserve. I hope that we can talk about how to deal with immigration and get all of the nominations that are being held up confirmed or denied instead of allowing them to stay in limbo.

I am glad that the craziest of the tea party candidates failed but I hope the ones that did get elected hold the Republic party to a new standard of fiscal responsibility.  I hope that Nancy Pelosi can take the higher road and treat the new Speaker with respect.  I hope that we can repair the beautiful and amazing country that I am from.  I hope that the change the country voted for is what we are given in the next two years. I am cautiously hopeful for the future. Progress is bound to happen let's just hope it is forward progress.

If you didn't watch any of Jon Stewart's Rally take 12 minutes to watch his Moment of Sincerity.  It is another heartfelt speech by Jon and one of the many reasons why I love and respect him so much!

I would like to make one more shout out to my BFF Ellie!!! She has been working tirelessly for months to get Senator Harry Reid reelected. I haven't spoken to her nearly as much as we used and I know that the last 2 months have involved little to no sleep.  It paid off. I know that she was such an asset to the campaign and I thank her for allowing the Dems to at least keep the majority in the Senate! She is a phenomenal woman who is going to be leading campaigns before we know it! Congrats Ellie!!! Can we talk now?? =)

You can take the girl out of DC but you can't take the DC out of the girl!

Fourth of July weekend in DC! 

No comments:

Post a Comment