Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Going Solo in Italy

After trying to plan a trip with a few people to Italy, our dates didn't work out so well so I made it a solo trip. It was great to plan a trip without worrying about what other people were going to want to do or where to do. It was all about what I was feeling at the time.  My trip was without a doubt the "Eat" aspect of Eat, Pray, Love. I am not sure how Elizabeth ever convinced herself to leave Italy!

I had 6 days off while the G and P were, respectively, in Paris and attending a day camp all week. It was a little odd to be leaving the family just as there was a new member entering the home but I was stoked to get out! 


I started off Tuesday morning with a train ride to Milan, a train station I am already familiar with, then to Florence. I left Zurich around 9am and arrived in my hostel at 3pm. After agonizing over where to stay and what rating were more important than others, I was happy that I picked a good one. I had internet access, so I could email my very worried father! It was clean and luckily all of the ladies staying in my room were traveling alone.  That meant they want to wander the streets of Florence with others as well.  



I spent the afternoon alone walking around. Got gelato nearly immediately, followed by a delicious slice of pizza.  Looking back on my trip, I am pretty sure all I did was walk and eat. Everything I ate/drank was amazing! Pizza, coffee, wine, ravioli, lasagna, sandwiches, pastries!! I am salivating just thinking about it!!!

 Unfortunately, probably more eating than walking! I found Florence to be so different then what I expected. Everyone...EVERYONE love Florence. My friends who have studied abroad there, friends/family who have traveled there, etc. No one said a bad thing about it. I did love the city. I thought it was small but big enough. There was plenty of culture, food, and beauty.

I went to the museum where The David is housed. It was pretty amazing! The rest of the museum was lacking a bit but they can do that because they have The David.  I somehow missed any of the signs that said you couldn't take pictures inside, so here is a picture of you of the big man in Florence! I was quickly yelled at and put my camera away but here is the one and only David!




Anyway, I walked around the Central Market where they have hordes of leather, scarves, and food to sell you. I was pleasantly surprised how non-pushy the sales people were.  Best of all, I loved that the sun was out and you could feel it!  I think my favorite place I ate at was this small restaurant my Australian friend and I found one night after watching the sun set over the city! 





So we walked into this restaurant because it was nearly full and it was getting late! It was amazing food and an amazing environment. It seemed like a very locals place, which is where you find the best of everything! We were sat by this Italian man in is 70s who was by far the coolest man ever. He made us laugh so much without trying. He was to the point and ready to tell you just about anything that he was thinking. He worked fast and hard to get people in and out while still allowing them to enjoy their time.  Everyone loved him but he didn't seem to care or notice.  The food was also amazing. The ravolis melting in my mouth and the wine and bread were everything they should be! It was exactly what I think Italy should be like! I would return to Florence solely to eat there one more time! 




I also found a coffee brand named Pascucci and of course took a picture and returned the next day to have a coffee there! 


I also found a store called "Luisa" (my middle name)..


I had seen a "Michelle" hotel when I first got there but didn't take a picture because I didn't think it was that special! I wish I had because then I would have pictures of all my names in Italy! So fun! 

This trip was not without its frustrations. There were moments when I wanted to scream and cry as I tried to find a certain place. I am definitely directionally challenged, but no matter how many times I walked to the same place I was bound to get lost or end up on the wrong street and have no idea how it happened.  I was getting the hang of it by Friday but Florence has streets that go in circles or change names or disappear.  There are dead ends and blockades everywhere. There are also a million small alleyways that look like alley ways, but are just the size of the average street in Florence.  

Friday I went to Tuscany (Chianti) for a bike tour with lunch and a wine and oil tasting included. This was the most difficult day of traveling alone because people tend to do things like that with friends. I was definitely the outsider for awhile. In the day's group there was a group of professors from Sweden and then a million girls (and one guy) from the States who were studying abroad in Florence.  

I was a little timid at first and eventually met some of the nicer calmer girls once we arrived in Tuscany.  (I had spent the bus right listening to Swedish and then these Americans talk about boys and a very crazy drunken night out in Florence.) It was truly a beautiful day though. We started at a castle where we learned about wine and oil making. It was really interesting to hear about how olive oil is made and the different types of olives it can come to. It was delicious! The castle was beautiful! It looked over the hills of Tuscany. There several moments where me and another girl just looked at each other and thought "How is this my life?!?"







Keith the tour guide. He was a pretty awesome Irishman



Then we started our bike ride! It was wonderful. We rode about 15k throughout the day. We had an enormous lunch and then continued to bike. It was such a great day! Our bikes all had names - I was lucky enough to get Barry White. 










It was great to travel alone. I met people I would have met otherwise.  It also is such an empowering experience to travel completely by yourself. I had been warned about Italian men and how aggressive they can be. Pickpocketing is a common crime as well, especially compared to Switzerland. I am not one to get nervous about traveling so these things were just good to be aware of.  I didn't feel unsafe at any moment which was great! It was a learning experience.  


If you made it through that props! I don't think I would have! Cinque Terre to come soon =) 

No comments:

Post a Comment