Friday, October 8, 2010

Two Months Marks the Spot!

So I have reached the 2 month point today! I am enjoying it so far! I figure I would take this time to tell you about Switzerland!

I am not sure if I mentioned this before, but I heard 3 things every time I said I was moving to Zurich:

1. It is gorgeous!
2. It is expensive.
3. It is cold all the time.

So as you have been able to tell by my pictures it is actually gorgeous here. It never gets old. We had a beautiful weekend and the mountains were out! So amazing! I do not think I will get over this one all year!





It is expensive. So very, very, VERY expensive. Instead of the using the Big Mac Index as the Economist did, here's my Starbucks index. No matter what you get, even if it just a plain ol' cup of joe it will run you at least 5 CHF. The Swiss Franc and the US Dollar are essentially equal to one another.  It will cost you 5 CHF for the cheapest shampoo you can find. A haircut won't cost less than 60! A beer or glass of wine won't be less than 8 CHF (which isn't that shocking considering the places in the US that I have lived). Don't even think about going out to eat because no matter where you go (unless you get a delicious kabob) you will be paying at least 15 CHF. Needless to say, I don't go out to eat.

It is not cold all the time. I did, however, move to the Seattle of Europe. It rains all the time it feels like. I am working on getting used to it. I need to if I am ever to live in Seattle. Fall came right on time and it has been a bit chilly and wet for the majority of the week. Luckily, we have had some beautiful days mixed in there!

This means that I have spent more money here than I am used to spending. I am working on it.

Here are a few more observations I have made over the last couple of months:

  1. The city is immaculate. All of the time.
  2. There is no poverty and are no homeless people. The Swiss work hard to make sure this is the case.
  3. There are "number one" and "number two" buttons on many toilets. Including in the house. 
  4. It is safe. Really safe. 
  5. The Swiss are...well they aren't this or that. They are just there. To have pleasant but not interesting conversation with. They aren't overly nice or mean. They just are here. Living happily in Switzerland! Example: Mama C went to a Sting concert last week and she said no one was dancing...no one.. they all just sat in their chairs. I have attributed their lack of enthusiasm to the fact that life is easy for most. People work hard and get paid a livable wage. If you are a waitress, that is your job for life and you will always make enough money to get by.  I will talk more about the Swiss economy in a later post. The point: Without any struggles and with complete efficiency, your people may lose a little of their umph and ability to understand sarcasm! So complete neutrality does in fact come at a cost.. (The other day I bought a book called Why Switzerland? which looks at the history and present society of Switzerland. While the people may not be the most exciting, the way they got to this place as a country fascinates me! I look forward to reading the book and, of course, will share it will you!) 
  6. There is no open bottle law here. This means we can grab a cheap bottle of wine (which is so much better than a cheap bottle in the states) and sit by the Lake or the River and chat! It saves us poor aupairs money! 
  7. Starbucks is ordered "for here or to-go" which means they save on millions (if not billions) of cups every year! I don't know why Starbucks doesn't start this a normal thing everywhere in the world!
  8. The windows are awesome! They can be open slightly (vent-like) or they can be opened completely (making big windows into doors)! They don't have screens here, which I actually like, but wouldn't be practical in many places in the States. 
  9. After 2 months I finally figured out how to use the shower door properly! It is quite a challenge. It has three panes that fold up. I knew there had to be some way to get it to stay open, in line with the tub, but I just couldn't do it! Well I finally did it! You have to get it at the right point and pull down the lever which will then move it so it is tight against the tub. (I realize this should have been a lot easier! I have showered in a shower half the size as it should have been for 2 months! I am excited that shaving my legs will now be sooo much easier!)
  10. There are no number buttons on the microwave. 
  11. The food is just better for you but essentially the same. There is less sugar and preservatives in the basic food you buy here. I also saw that there was a Carbon sticker on a papaya fruit the family bought. It showed you that it had to be flown in, meaning it hurt the environment more than other fruits. They also treat their animals better. Their factory farms aren't comparable to what we have in the States. I have eaten more meat here than any other time in my entire life! 
  12. There are no overly obese people (possibly related to the above observation).
  13. The average car is so much nicer than the average car in the States. And a heck of a lot smaller!
  14. Things move smoothly all the time. It is incredibly efficient! 
    • Their public transportation goes everywhere you could want to go and on time. Between the trains, trams, and buses you can get everywhere! 
    • So don't be late for the bus or it won't be there any more. 
    • But don't miss your last train or bus because then you are stuck in the city until the wee hours of the morning!

I spoke to a lot of families when I decided that I wanted to move to Europe and become an aupair. I didn't care where I would end up. I am very happy with my decision. The family is pretty good, the place is gorgeous, and I can get to 4 different countries within 3-4 hours. 

*** After a year in DC, this is so different from what I am used to. Washington DC is one of my favorite cities but it is also one of the most dangerous and poorest cities in the States. Switzerland, specifically Zurich, is one of the richest cities in the world. There aren't safety concerns pretty much ever. On the other hand, I think still love DC more! =) 

No comments:

Post a Comment