Friday, October 29, 2010

Winter, is that you?

I decided I don't like winter. I don't like being cold. I like sitting outside and wearing dresses and sandals. Unfortunately, my San Diego upbringing did not teach me the ins and outs of layering, winter clothes, nor skiing.  Winter has seemingly arrived in Zurich. It is snowing in the mountains and highs are in the 30s, possibly the 40s if we are lucky.  I see the sun less each week. The scary part is it is only October.  That means it is actually still Fall and it is going to get worse from here. I found that there is an average of about 30-33 hours of sunlight in December and January... ekkk! That is an hour a day if we are lucky!

I have joked with my friends that when the snow comes I will be going into hibernation mode and I will see them in the Spring. While this is a joke to some extent (I will go crazy in my dungeon!), it is also the truth. When I get up at 7:15 in the morning, it looks like it is 4am. The sun is not out and lights are necessary so that I don't trip walking up the stairs.

I need to motivate myself to get out bed, get dressed, and leave the house. Each of those is an accomplishment already and it is still October! So if you figure out a way to harness the sun and send it to Switzerland I will be eternally grateful.


So I continue to admire the Alps and try to appreciate that in order to see those I must suffer through the cold a bit because when the sun is out it is breathtakingly beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment