Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Adapting to Life as an Aupair

The last few days were very busy. Filled with games, cooking, and a whole slew of rules and procedures.  Yesterday we went to a park for a couple of hours.  It was not like the parks I went to as a child. Similar things to do, but we were in the rolling hills of Switzerland. I was struck by the beauty that was these kids everyday life. I am guessing that people may think that about parts of San Diego and the beach.  There were cows and horses during the 10 minute walk to the park! Plus, there each of the toys was shaped like animal (a cat, spider, and HIPPO!)! How cool is that?

Here are a couple pictures of the kids playing! It really was a fun afternoon! I was just ready for bed by the end of the day!















It was a bit overwhelming last night but I know that it is completely doable. I got up this morning and sent the children off to school for their first day. It went surprisingly smoothly, which is not how it will be every morning, but it was nice to start off the year on the right foot.  As many of you know, I am very set to timetables and HATE to be late for things, so that will hopefully help me with making sure that we get to practices and school on time!

Today I went to an aupair meeting. It is every Wednesday and it is a great way to meet people. It is how the previous aupair for my family met her friends.  There were just 3 of us there today. One who was very good friends with the aupair I replaces and another girl from Denmark. Both of them will be here for awhile longer so that is nice. (The last two girls I met are leaving in the next month or so).

I am slowly getting more comfortable in the house and the neighborhood. The language barrier is definitely intimidating.  I don't know when people are talking to me or what they are saying when they are. I am trying to learn some basic phrases but Swiss German is not the easiest language to remember.  I am getting more comfortable with that and trying to ask if someone speaks English. My family doesn't speak the language very much either, which is comforting, knowing that I will be able to get by.  I will be looking into starting French lessons soon as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment