Monday, August 30, 2010

Not Quite Three Weeks

I haven't reached my three week mark yet (it is officially tomorrow night).  However, I feel like I have been here for forever. I don't know if I emphasized how much I was thrown into the deep end with the family.  I was here without them, to fend for myself in a new country.  The family came back, I had the kids for 12 hour days. Back to school was a whole new experience and then last week I had an overnight with the kids. I have been doing a good job (gotten several compliments about how well I am doing, especially considering everything). Host-papa told me it seemed like I have been here for a long time! Eeeek...

Days like today. I remember the previous aupair for the family said she has days when she thinks "why do they need me."  I am having that feeling today.  I came home from Zurich to be here for the kids when they got back from the bus. I just finished giving them their snack and now I am off for the afternoon? Their Mom is here to do homework, crafts, etc with them.  I now have the next 8 hours to kill before it is bedtime. Hmm.. what to do?

I know my previous post may have seemed a little soon to complain about anything. Ultimately, this is a great opportunity. The family is pretty great and I shouldn't be complaining. I live in Switzerland.  My life is nothing to complain about.

And it is true. I have been enjoying it. I do enjoy the kids.  I have met a few new people. One of the reasons I liked this family more than others, was because of the previous aupair. She was honest about the job and she was already introducing me to her friends! It seemed like the transition would be smooth and it has been.  I am slowly meeting more people, and trying to not "bother" people or cling on too tightly.

I am realizing how much free time I have. Something I haven't had a lot of since around January when I started working two jobs and trying to have some semblance of a social life. Now, I have days when I will work for a couple of hours (today I made breakfast, cleaned up the kitchen, did some ironing all before 11:30am..).  I went to the city for coffee with a friend. I am looking to classes (art, working out, cooking) to take (all of which will be in Swiss German) and will soon start learning French.

I am trying to figure out what else to do! I will be reading a lot. I can tell you that now, so if you have any good book suggestions let me know. I found the European version of Ebay and a used book store with an English section.

I have found that I missed out on many classics over the years. While I don't like Pride and Prejudice or written about a similar time period (I think it is the feminist inside of me..maybe?).

I will hopefully be doing some reading about the economy/micro-financing etc. in my attempt to learn as much as I can about what I want to dedicate my life to. I will also be watching a lot of Ted Talks (ted.com I really recommend it for those random 15 min you have nothing to do during).  Lisitening to NPR and of course watching John Steward (who is going on vacation for the next two weeks =(.

I sat down over the weekend and looked up places I wanted to go. I read about things to do in Zurich and where to go around the city.  I am pricing out trips and signing up for every travel newsletter I can possibly find!

Three weeks and I think I am doing pretty well! A couple of friends, I can get around, and I have two trips planned! Now I just have to fill the gaps!

No comments:

Post a Comment