Thursday, August 26, 2010

Volcanoes and Dance Parties

I figure after several posts about Switzerland, I should give a little update about the kids! This week is their first full week of school.  This means starting to get the routine down.  I get up around 7. Brush my teeth, make their snacks for school and lunches on Wednesdays.  Paul and Gabrielle get woken up around 7:30am and the bus arrives at 8:19am. Breakfast, teeth, hair, beds made, and thus far we have had time to read almost every morning! I am that good =)

I am learning this schedule only to have it change once the new baby (it's a girl!) is born. Tuesday I got to spend the afternoon with Gabrielle.  We listened to some High School Musical and Miley Cyrus. Then held a mini dance party! Gabrielle's rendition of "Smack That" might have been the cutest thing I have ever seen. Close your eyes for a second. Think of a tiny, blonde hair, blue-eyed, 6-year-old, dancing to "Smack That" featuring Eminem. Hilarious! (I have posted a link to the song below so that you can listen to how wildly inappropriate the words are. It was on their iPod so we danced to it!)

Then we went to the park where Gabrielle made me do obstacle courses. This involved running and jumping and doing things that Gabrielle can do without thinking but for it is was just hilarious to watch as I tried to contort my body into small spaces!

We made dinner and had a great time all and all!

Wednesday, Gabrielle had a play-date, so Paul and I got to spend the afternoon with each other. He is definitely a little more difficult to entertain. As he ate his snack, I listed about 20 things we could and he just stared blankly at me.  It was sooo nice outside so I kept saying we should go outside. He wanted to go on the computer, watch TV, or play Wii (what the family has dubbed as "squarebox time").  These are things he is not allowed to do during the week.  I suggested baking something because he loves his sweets so while we wouldn't be running around in the sun, just maybe we could have a delicious prize as a result of our afternoon!

Eventually he decided we were going to make a volcano. We got a bottle and made the first one in the backyard. Then we went to the near by park and build a volcano with sand and made another one! It was fun.  He enjoyed it and then we were at the park! So we did a few obstacle courses. He asked me if I had ever been to Disneyland, Sea World, LegoLand, and a few other places. I was able to answer yes to all of them, which he thought was awesome. We talked about those places for awhile while on the swings. We did a few more competitions and came back to the house.

Finally, we had bonded, or so I thought. The second we got to the house it was all about wanting "squarebox time."  So the period of time he liked me soon passed by.  Eventually, we played a few more games inside until it was time for bathes and dinner.

It was really nice to get some alone time with each of them. Although, I am glad they have each other since they play really well together most of the time.  I am enjoying things so far, but we are going to have our first go at homework tonight which will be quite the battle I am told. So wish me good luck!

Smack that - Akon. ft. Eminem - For your listening pleasure!

No comments:

Post a Comment