Sunday, August 22, 2010

Lakes are not Oceans

The trams in Zurich. 
I moved to a landlocked country, something I never thought I would do! Luckily for me, I live about a mile away from a gorgeous lake! I find a great peace in being by large bodies of water, as corny/cheesy/silly as that sounds! I have grown up loving the beach and being a few miles aways from it. When I moved to DC, I knew that the ocean was far away, but I did have a river.  Now I have a lake and a couple of rivers, which is definitely an upgrade! I spent the last few days enjoying the lake. 
I had the afternoon off on Friday (my life is really hard!). I went into Zurich to wander around by myself for the first time. I, of course, ended up at the lake side of Zurich. I found myself a lovely place on the grass right next to the lake and sat and read. It was the first really nice day since I have arrived so it was great to be outside, in a dress! 







This is what the average drinking
fountain looks like. 








I, of course, ended up at the lake side of Zurich. I found myself a lovely place on the grass right next to the lake and sat and read. It was the first really nice day since I have arrived so it was great to be outside, in a dress! 



Zurich is a clean city, just as I have been told. The city is not very large and it seems very quaint. There is a lot going on but it really does seem like people are just enjoying life! I found that after long periods of bad weather a city livens up and everyone just seems happier when the sun comes out. So I think that was probably the case on Friday!



The sunset in Zurich




I people watched, listened to the street performers, and read my book. I unfortunately couldn't do much eavesdropping, as my German is not very good! It was a lovely afternoon into the evening. I watched the sun start to set.  I then strolled down to grab some food and sat by the river that flows out of the lake. 















These guys were pretty good!
(Janille- they sang Wonderwall) 

Saturday I found myself at a part of the lake near the house. I walked down and found an area with grass and people! It was quite beautiful! I read some more and went swimming.  I have swam in lakes before, but after looking at all the fish that could be found in this one it made me unnecessarily nervous so I got in the water anyway.  I do love being in water so it was great to lie on my back and float for while, read some more, and then go back the water. 

My mini-(lake) beach!

I like the ocean because it seems endless.  It also has waves and less rocks than the lake. Moss also creeps me out a little. More than seaweed does.  While I may be an ocean girl, this lake is extremely beautiful and, well, its all I've got! So I enjoyed another day by the lake today. Swimming and reading in the sun is one of the best things ever!

The happiest puppy in the world!!!
I hope to continue my days at the lake until they are days at the lake with a jacket, hat, mittens, and a cup of some hot! 


No comments:

Post a Comment