Friday, August 20, 2010

Continuing to Adapt and Discover






Today was a great day! It was the beginning of a real schedule and we had a family dinner to celebrate my host-father's birthday. I got my chores done, attempted to go for a run (which included me tripping and falling, my ipod dying, and me recognizing that a month without running makes you incredibly out of shape!).  The positive: I found my favorite spot to read in my neighborhood. I was walking up the hill after tripping and reached a peak that looked over the lake, houses, and mountains.

In my area and around Zurich there are signs for trails called Wanderweg. I followed these trails on my "run."  I continued and got home. I am starting to recognize many of the street names to get back to my house! So I made it back. Did some ironing and whatnot.  The sun was coming out, which it hasn't done very much in the last week so I walked back with my camera and a book back to my spot. It has benches and grass! It is absolutely breathtaking (which I don't think my pictures get across!).

I had a good afternoon with the children and both parents were home today. We surprised the father with a birthday dinner which had some difficulties along the way but it turned out nice. I wasn't sure if I was going to join them but I decided that it would be better.  I have been struggling with living with my "employers."  They have been so welcoming but I am so nervous about not doing something right or the kids missing the bus or something ridiculous! They don't eat all together very often during the week so it was the perfect opportunity to take advantage of. It was great to sit down and get used to being around as just a member of the household.

My life is so surreal right now! I just can't believe I am actually in Switzerland and will be here for a year! Below are pictures of my new favorite spot to walk to and read! I really couldn't stop taking pictures so I will spare you from most of them but here are a few.




If those clouds cleared completely
you would see the snow-capped Alps!


No comments:

Post a Comment